CBD gummies are all the rage as the best alternative to CBD oils — but they’re still relatively new. Many people are asking, “when do CBD gummies kick in?” and “How long do they last?”
That’s what we’re going to cover in this article.
High-quality gummies are fun to take; they’re tasty, sweet, chewy, and easy to carry in your pocket. They also take away the pesky measurements associated with taking CBD oil.
But if you want to get the best results from your supplementation, you need to know when CBD gummies kick in, how long they last, and how long they stay in your system.
Don’t worry, we’ll easily get you through the science behind CBD gummies.
CBD Gummies: A Brief Overview
- CBD gummies are hemp edibles infused with CBD extracts. They move through the digestive system before their effects take hold; this means they typically need more time to kick in, but they also take longer to wear off.
- When your CBD gummies kick in depends on your body weight, metabolism, and whether you’re taking the gummies on a full or empty stomach.
- CBD isn’t intoxicating, so it won’t get you high. It may be more difficult to tell precisely when the effects of CBD gummies take hold. Usually, you can tell it thanks to the calming wave of relaxation and relief from physical tension.
When Do CBD Gummies Kick In?
When you take CBD gummies, you generally take a bite, chew it, and swallow. This way, the CBD from your gummies uses the digestive tract to absorb into the bloodstream. In the meantime, it needs to be processed by the liver, so it comes with a slight delay, between 30–90 minutes.
Some users choose to chew on their gummies for a little bit longer, sucking their content to speed up absorption. Doing so causes some of the CBD to enter the bloodstream through sublingual glands in your mouth. When you take CBD gummies this way, they may kick in earlier, about 20–30 minutes from ingesting.
If your gummies have some kind of oil apart from the CBD extract, it can improve absorption and spur their onset because CBD is fat-soluble.
Okay, but when exactly do CBD gummies kick in, and how long do they last?
Factors Affecting the Onset and Duration of CBD Gummies
- Metabolism – your metabolism (or metabolic rate) involves a series of physiological processes, including the conversion of food to protein, fatty acids, carbohydrates, and energy that enable cells to function properly.
- Empty or full stomach – CBD gummies need to be fully digested and absorbed before you notice any change in how you feel. If you ate a meal before taking CBD gummies, they would need more time before they can be broken down by the body. The meal was first, hence the delay. On the other hand, CBD absorbs better when consumed with food.
- Body composition – how much you weigh, how much fat you have, and whether you take any medications affects the time CBD gummies need to kick in. Your gastric enzymes also play an important role in helping your body absorb nutrients, including cannabinoids.
It’s challenging to answer how long precisely gummies take to start working with so many factors to take into account. Your friends may feel the difference after just 30 minutes, while you may not notice anything until two hours later.
As you get more experienced, you’ll start to notice where your “average” onset is and how some of these factors may manipulate the absorption speed.
When Should I Consider Taking More?
This depends on your CBD edibles dosage and the goals you have with CBD gummies. Low doses of CBD are generally better for focus and energy. Meanwhile, higher doses will help you control stress, physical discomfort and promote restorative sleep.
The best way to gauge your optimal dosage is to start with a very low dose and work your way up from that point. Take one CBD gummy on an empty stomach, and see when the CBD kicks in.
If, after about an hour, you feel nothing, take another gummy. You should notice some type of effects after the second dose.
How Long Do CBD Gummies Last?
Your body is a complex ‘machinery’ with plenty of gear that controls these biological processes. The same factors that determine when CBD gummies kick in will also affect the time they last.
Factors Affecting the Time CBD Gummies Last
- Body composition – CBD dissolves in fats, meaning we store some part of it in our fat cells. If you have a higher than average fat percentage, your body will need more time to flush the system completely.
- Exercise – working out helps you burn fat, increasing CBD’s metabolism and reducing the time required for removing it from the system.
- Metabolism – your metabolism dictates the time the effects of CBD gummies will last. If your metabolism is quick, you’ll likely feel the effects sooner, but they won’t last for too long. On the other hand, slower metabolism equals delayed effects, but they take more time to go out of effect.
How Long do CBD Gummies Last In My System?
CBD may still be in your system even after the effects have worn off. Many substances that you ingest go by the same token.
To check how long CBD will last in your system, you need to know what its half-life is. Every substance in this world has a unique half-life, which is the time it needs to get half of its initial amount flushed from the system.
Researchers are still trying to determine the exact half-life of CBD, but most estimates point to one or two days. Some scientists say it’s 18–32 hours.
Here’s an example.
Let’s say that CBD’s half-life is exactly one day. Here’s what would happen if you took a serving of 100 mg CBD:
- Right after consumption: 100 mg
- 24 hours after consumption: 50 mg
- 48 hours after consumption: 25 mg
- 72 hours after consumption: 12.5 mg
After about five days, your body should clean itself from CBD. People are wondering if — since they’re taking full-spectrum CBD gummies — the CBD shows up on a drug test. These tests are designed to look for THC and its metabolites, not CBD. Full-spectrum CBD contains only a trace amount of THC (0.3% or less); to test positive for it, you’d have to consume upwards of 2000 mg CBD gummies daily — most people use between 20–50 mg, so as long as you have a lab-tested, certified product, you should be in the clear.
When to Take CBD Gummies
It all depends on your goals with CBD. Some users use it for energy and focus, while others need CBD to ease discomfort or achieve deeper rest. Now that you know when CBD gummies kick in and how long they last, let’s take a look at their use at different times of the day:
- Energy and focus – if you use CBD gummies to boost focus and prevent overstimulation, a gummy or two in the morning should set you up for a productive day. If you feel the effects start to lose potency, you can split the amount of CBD between the morning and afternoon for more consistent results.
- Healthy sleep cycles – high doses of CBD are known to reduce blood pressure, helping you stay calm before bed and consequently wake up refreshed the next day. It’s best to take your CBD gummies about 2 hours before bedtime so that you don’t overload your digestive system at night and let your body focus on regenerative processes.
- Physical discomfort – muscle soreness, strains, and general discomfort are among the top reasons why people use CBD gummies. When you take them after the workout, they can provide consistent results, and if you pushed yourself too hard the other day, a larger dose taken in the morning may relax your body and take away some of the annoying tension.
How Many Can You Eat Per Day?
If you’re asking about the general human capacity, a 2017 review of the safety and side effects of CBD concluded that humans could tolerate up to 1500 mg of CBD per day, but again, that’s far too much than an average user consumes.
Although you can’t fatally overdose on CBD, unpleasant side effects are possible if you take too much. Fortunately, they’re usually mild and non-existent if you stick to your optimal edibles dosage.
The side effects of CBD include:
- Dry mouth
- Fluctuation of appetite
Talk to your doctor if you’re taking any medications. CBD is a potent inhibitor of the CYP450 system — a group of enzymes that metabolize most pharmaceutical drugs. Concomitant use of both substances may lead to undesired interactions.
For example, CBD may hinder the efficacy of your medication by increasing its metabolism.
Depending on the type of interaction, the metabolism may be slowed, resulting in drug toxicity from too high concentrations of the medication in your bloodstream.
That’s why a consultation with a qualified medical professional is paramount.
Avoid Low-quality CBD Gummies
Many low-quality CBD brands fall short of farming and extraction standards, which results in inferior (and sometimes dangerous) products.
Not to mention third-party laboratory testing that these manufacturers ignore — either purposely or unaware of their importance.
Many CBD brands are here just to reap profits from a booming market, so you need to have eyes all around your head when searching for the best CBD gummies.
At TruLife Changers, we source our extracts from non-GMO, pesticide-free hemp, ensuring top-shelf standards. We use supercritical CO2 extraction so that no extreme heat or toxic solvents can compromise the potency and purity of our CBD gummies.
Every batch goes through rigorous testing in an independent, ISO-certified laboratory. This way, you can rest assured you’re getting a safe product that delivers only the desired ingredients.
And, if for some reason, you’re not satisfied with your gummies, send them back within 30 days, and we’ll give you a full refund.
How to Properly Store CBD Gummies
Just like any other gummies that you buy to satisfy your sweet tooth, CBD gummies should be kept in a cool and dry place, away from light sources. This can be a kitchen pantry, a drawer in your office, or a health cabinet where you keep all your health supplements.
Don’t leave them on the counter or outside on a sunny day. Not only will it cause the cannabinoids and terpenes to degrade, but your gummies will also melt and turn into a gooey mess.
The gummies should last long (up to one year) if you store them properly and in their original container. If you buy CBD gummies in bulk, put the remaining jars in the fridge to extend shelf life.
Final Thoughts: When do CBD Gummies Kick In?
Usually, you’ll be able to notice the effects of CBD gummies within 30 minutes, but depending on your weight, metabolism, and digestive enzymes, the process may take up to 2 hours.
Once the gummies kick in, the effects should stay with you for several hours. On average, it’s 6 hours, but some users report that they are able to experience them for up to 10 hours.
If you’re taking any medications, this may further affect your body’s ability to metabolize CBD from the gummies. Keep in mind that taking CBD with your meds may lead to unwanted interactions, so always consult the use of CBD gummies with your doctor.
- Lucas, C. J., Galettis, P., & Schneider, J. (2018). The pharmacokinetics and the pharmacodynamics of cannabinoids. British journal of clinical pharmacology, 84(11), 2477–2482. https://doi.org/10.1111/bcp.13710 
- Welty, T. E., Luebke, A., & Gidal, B. E. (2014). Cannabidiol: promise and pitfalls. Epilepsy currents, 14(5), 250–252. https://doi.org/10.5698/1535-7597-14.5.250 
- Iffland, K., & Grotenhermen, F. (2017). An Update on Safety and Side Effects of Cannabidiol: A Review of Clinical Data and Relevant Animal Studies. Cannabis and cannabinoid research, 2(1), 139–154. https://doi.org/10.1089/can.2016.0034